Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Cleaning the Oven

Who cleans their oven as often as they should? I know that I don't, and I use mine a lot.

I use my oven as a proofing box for rising bread. That means that I boil water in a pan and put it in the oven with the bread that needs to rise. The hot water raises the humidity and temperature inside of the oven to create the warm moist environment that bread loves, BUT all that humidity condenses on the sides of the oven where the grease from baking accumulates. This creates little grease droplets that drip to the bottom. Gross.
The required tools
Oven cleaning isn't hard, but it does take a little time and worse, fore thought.

The oven is sprayed
All things considered this oven isn't too bad. I don't cook many meats.

A clean oven
The oven is now pleasantly clean. Start to finish time 1 hour. Now I will feel better about baking the focaccia later today. I will also allow a longer pre-heat to get rid of the chemical smell. I do not want that in my bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment