Tuesday, February 10, 2015

A Breakfast Porridge/Oatmeal

I enjoy endurance sports and often needed more carbs to finish a long morning bike ride than my eggs and toast could provide, so I started working on this recipe. I wanted something quick, easy, and long-lasting.

I eventually decided on an oats and fruit combination because of how the carbs in each work. Oats and bananas are a source of slow release carbs (based on glycemic load) becuase of all of their soluble dietary fiber. The fructose of the apple is available a little more quickly. This combination helps me get to the fat burning stage of my training and to the end of the workout before "hitting the wall."
The basic ingredients
The banana is there because they are sweet and during the cooking process they will slowly disappear into the background of the porridge, which allows me to cut the sugar in the oats. I be honest - while I like cheerios without sugar, oatmeal without brown sugar is nothing that I am interested in, so in comes that banana.

The apple is there for crunchy. Oatmeal, porridge, is a sticky, gooey, tawny-colored concoction that needs some additions to give it a more palatable texture. The apple holds up well during the cooking and provides a toothsome resistance.


The oatmeal is ready for the microwave
 I nuke this in the microwave. The first round is for 3 minutes, followed by a 2 minute steaming period, and a stir. Then another 2 minutes and a steam. If it is too thick, I add a little more water and add another minute.
A "well-balanced" training breakfast - oatmeal and coffee
Adam's Training Oatmeal
1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
1 medium diced apple
1/2 tsp of allspice or cinnamon
1 sliced banana
1 cup water
1 TBS unpacked brown sugar

  • I microwave this in a large bowl, though you could use a pan on the stovetop.
  • Add oats to bowl. Slice and add banana. During the cooking process most of the banana is going to just disappear into the porridge. it is added for sweetness.
  • Dice and add apple. I like a 3/8 inch dice. The apple will stay crispy and provide a satisfying crunch.
  • Add brown sugar, all spice, and water. Cook in microwave 5 - 10 munites until the oats are tender. Stir occasionally. If cooking on the stovetop, heat over medium high heat until the porridge thickens.
Look at all of that healthy dietary fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment